Thursday, June 21, 2012

Another chat with a cop about the bakfiets...

This morning I had another chat with a cop about my bakfiets... but this time the exchange was, I'd say, positive! After being stopped by a cop in May, I sent off a couple emails and then, recently, a few more follow-up emails. The issue has been, so I'm told, brought to the attention of the chief of police, the CHP, the city attorney, and the judicial system. This morning, a lieutenant came over to get a closer look at the bicycle with car seat attached. I have to admit, I was a little nervous about the visit (even though it was totally voluntary on my part), but it went fine. The lieutenant seemed to think the set up was just fine, though he did reiterate that officers have discretion in deciding whether to pull me over or not. He's pretty sure that the judicial system will get back to him with the explanation that the bike can't be deemed "legal" until someone gets ticketed and successfully challenges it in court. But the quick emails have at least helped create an awareness in the department about the bike. The lieutenant mentioned one of the city's motorcycle cops saw me riding and left me alone because he knew the issue was being investigated. Feeling bold and full of bike advocacy-ness while standing in my garage full of bikes, I asked the cop about the legality of children riding on the back of longtail bikes. He was aware of them and said they'd been challenged in court (California, I assume) and deemed a legal way to carry children. Woohoo for longtail riding parents in California! I specifically thought of biking mom Kate and the letter to the editor that claimed she was breaking the law by carrying her children on her Yuba Mundo. Not so! Anyway... happy biking to all. Time for me to go to bed...

1 comment:

  1. Great news! But crazy that you would have to go to court to be officially legal.

    ReplyDelete